Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ray of hope: Vultures breeding going on

For last three years we are observing and recording that vultures are breeding in Katerniaghat. Recently I found that around 50 vultures mainly Long billed and White back are sitting on one of the sand bars of river Girwa in Katerniaghat range. Most of them had opened their wing as they are basking the sun. Some of them were sitting together at ground level. Same day I noticed that in grasslands vultures are sitting on a Semal tree in the same range. That tree had two nests. This year around 20 vultures have made their nest in and around Katerniaghat. Mostly they nest and roost on Haldu and Semal trees. In last three years first time I observed that they are 'sitting' on sand bars for a few days. Earlier I had contacted with Dr Rahmani regarding the nesting of the vultures then he had told me to notice the 'drooping neck' syndrome in them, which I did not find. They were agile and more active since last few sightings. I sighted vultures in Motipur range also on the same place and at the same tree where I had seen them last year. My friend Sanjay Kumar sighted around 50 vultures in Kishanpur sanctuary last week.

No comments: